Thank you for visiting the online home of Callanwolde School of Dance! Our program’s aim is to instill in each student the joy of dance as an art form and to begin with beauty – the beauty of dance, of music, of rhythm, of bodies in movement, of the light shining through the trees, of the nature trail on our campus, of the architecture of our buildings, of the nature of art.
What makes Callanwolde unique amongst dance schools? Read on to find out more!
- Learn New Dance Skills and Techniques While Having Fun
- Degreed Dance Instructors
- Dance Performance Opportunities
- Beautiful Dance Studios in a Nationally Registered Historic Place
- Atlanta Chapter – NHSDA (National Honor Society for Dance Arts)
- Scholarship Assistance
Learn New Dance Skills and Techniques While Having Fun
Beginning with our youngest dancers (ages 2 – 6) and continuing through high school and beyond, Callanwolde School of Dance offers classes for students who are focused on learning skills, having fun, and for those who are inclined, many performance opportunities.
Our dance program includes several new class offerings, including tap, variations, and new classes for teens and adults who are beginners. The support your dancer will receive is reflected in the newly developed curriculum.
- A choice of tracks or pursuits of study enabling your student to build towards a pre-professional status or engage your student with progressive levels in their favorite dance style!
- Select students /classes will be invited to perform at the MANY Callanwolde events as wells as guest appearances in metro Atlanta Festivals and events.
- A certification syllabus will be available to your students as they progress along with support in the following academic areas:
– Governors Honors Program application process
– College letters of recommendation
– Audition preparation support
– Opportunities to participate in master classes and workshops in the metro area.
– Participation in ED PUZZLE, an online homework tool facilitated by Jerylann Warner, in which students view select videos allowing them to view and gain an understanding in trending styles and choreographers.
– An array of dance performance opportunities with excerpts from The Nutcracker and other holiday dances at Callanwolde Fine Arts Center.
- Yearly auditions for the modern /contemporary youth company “PRIME MOVERS” under the direction of Corian Ellisor and Jerylann Warner.
- An opportunity for teens who are newly interested to begin dancing for the first time – within their peer/age group – in entry level classes!
The exceptional campus of Callanwolde will host numerous opportunities for your students Dance Artistry to unfold in a community of loving friends and supportive teachers.
The overall breadth, scope and sweep of this program will enliven your dance student’s education with the best possible technical training within a holistic approach to their coming of age. Surrounded by the beauty of Callanwolde, your student will make memories and participate in activities that strike a conversation between dance and the other art forms. Unique to Callanwolde, we are eager to explore this interdisciplinary opportunity as we build this new program. A rich cross-cultural experience, dance-intensives summer camps, workshops, performances and special events are all within your child’s grasp!
Degreed Dance Instructors
Under the direction of Nicole Johnson and Jerylann Warner, along with an esteemed professional and varied faculty, the dance needs of your child will be met with attention to their desire, commitment, and dreams.
Our dance instructors are degreed professional artists within their field and have a great deal of experience teaching, performing and as choreographers. Joining Nicole and Jerylann this year are: Corian Ellisor, Shawn Evangelista, Sean Hilton, Jillian Mitchell, Heather Moffitt, and Erin Rausch – all widely recognized as outstanding dancers who inspire and encourage their students.
Dance Performance Opportunities
Callanwolde’s dance program includes technical skills, improvisation and choreography, musical background, and performing experience. Callanwolde School of Dance offers the unique opportunity to perform at Callanwolde’s many exciting events, as well as opportunities for members of the Callanwolde Performance Group that are off-campus such as at festivals, and events at our many partner organizations.
Along with Callanwolde’s School of Music and School of Visual Art, we offer all of our students the unparalleled opportunity to collaborate and create dynamic interdisciplinary art. We can’t wait to begin this journey with you!
Beautiful Dance Studios
Callanwolde Fine Arts Center’s campus is situated on twelve lush acres located in the Druid Hills neighborhood of Atlanta. Two of our three dance studios are located in the magnificent Candler Mansion- a 27,000 square foot Tudor Revival mansion listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Our grounds also contain gardens, fountains, a nature trail, several restored outer buildings, and an art gallery.
Atlanta Chapter – NHSDA (National Honor Society for Dance Arts)
The Callanwolde School of Dance is now an Atlanta chapter of the National Honor Society for Dance Arts!
The NHDSA is a program of the National Dance Education Organization which recognizes outstanding artistic merit, leadership, and academic achievement in students. The NHDSA offers three levels of induction: The Junior Program for grades 6-8, the Secondary Program for grades 9-12, and the Collegiate Program for sutdents in college or university dance programs. Induction in Callanwolde’s NHDSA Junior and Secondary Chapters is an honor that takes hard work and commitment, and its benefits last a lifetime!
Callanwolde is committed to honoring our students’ hard work and achievements in dance. Click here for more information about the NHDSA.
Callanwolde Fine Arts Center awards School of Dance scholarships based on financial need and/or merit. Please visit our main Scholarships page here for scholarship applications and additional information.