The Callanwolde Experience: Field Trips at the Historic Candler Estate
Callanwolde is an impressive 27,000 square feet Tudor Revival style mansion built in 1920. It was originally owned by Charles Howard Candler, second president of The Coca-Cola Company and eldest son of company founder Asa G. Candler, Sr. Saved from demolition in 1971 by the citizens of DeKalb County, the architectural landmark in the historic Druid Hills neighborhood of Atlanta now serves as a unique fine arts center and hub of cultural activity. The 12-acre campus is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and remains a gracious and inviting home for the community to enjoy.
Callanwolde field trips, which are about two hours, include the following:
- A hands-on arts workshop (see below for workshop choices)
- A tour of the historic Callanwolde Mansion
- An interactive art gallery experience based on our current exhibition
- A “Tree Talk and Walk” on our grounds OR an age-appropriate guided meditation experience (your choice)
After the above activities, you also have the option to bring sack lunches for your students to eat on our beautiful campus!
Dates and Details
Available Dates: January to May, and August to November. We are now taking reservations for Spring 2017, and for the 2017-18 school year!
Capacity: 80 students (Larger groups may schedule two or more visits.)
Cost: $8 per student. Title I Schools receive a discounted rate of $5 per student.
Arts Workshop Choices:
- 2-D Mixed Media
- African or Modern Dance
- Choral Music, Orchestra, or Band
- Music Recording (grades 7-12 only)
- Creative Writing
We’re here to help! For more information or to schedule a field trip, please contact:
404-872-5338 ext. 238